Mercury Poisoning —Easy As Pie

If you visit for information on the safety of high-fructose corn syrup you will find the following statement:

“In 1983, the FDA listed HFCS as “Generally Recognized as Safe” (known as GRAS status) for use in food and reaffirmed that ruling in 1996. In its 1996 GRAS ruling, the FDA noted that “the saccharide composition (glucose to fructose ratio) of HFCS is approximately the same as that of honey, invert sugar and the disaccharide sucrose [table sugar].”

Six months ago again the safety of HFCS was reaffirmed over prime time news.

In the January 28, 2009 issue of the Lexington Herald Leader on page D 12 you will see the headline  “Traces of mercury found in high-fructose corn syrup.” Mercury?

Mercury is linked to learning disabilities in children and heart disease in adults. Up until now I thought I could avoid mercury poisoning by limiting my consumption of fish. Now I discover that a trace of mercury is in many of the foods I eat—yogurts, salad dressings, soft drinks, bread and jam.

How much is a trace?  How much of a poison do I need to ingest before I get a little dead?

Check out the food labels of  the foods in your shopping cart and see how many contain high-fructose corn syrup. Think about it: a trace of mercury here, a trace of mercury there. How rapidly do all those traces add up to a whole lot of poisoning?

Is anyone looking out for the consumer?

If you enjoyed this post, why not subscribe to my feed?


2 thoughts on “Mercury Poisoning —Easy As Pie

  1. Your experience was a total nightmare, and I wonder how many people have shared that experience with you?

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s